Sparkfun GSM/GPRS SM5100b shield on a Diavolino

I have decided to return the SM5100B evaluation board since I am instead using the SM5100B cellular shield. This is because I was not really going to use any of the interface pins of the SM5100B module broken out on the eval board. One useful thing about the shield (that I wasn’t expecting) is that it is able to reset the cellular module using the on board reset button similar to the eval board.

8008528875_923b20b2d9_z

The Diavolino board here is running without any AVR 328 mega chip plugged into it, and has the 2.5mm x 5.5mm power barrel socket for the 5V 3A regulated power supply from EvilMadScience.

Diavolino hosting a GSM/GPRS shield

Meanwhile although I can receive TCP data on the SM5100B modem over GPRS I still haven’t been able to successfully confirm transmission of data.

TCP connection over GPRS with SM5100B module

After having no success sending GET requests to HTTP servers I finally decided to set up my own tcp server by directing a port on my router to my PC and setting up a simple tcpserver listener in cygwin like this:

~ > tcpserver -t1000 -v -Bare_we_receiving 0 9876 bash -c "sleep 1000"
tcpserver: status: 0/40

Then I sent the following commands to the modem

AT+CGATT? 
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","epc.tmobile.com" 
AT+CGPCO=0,"None","",1 
AT+CGACT=1,1
AT+SDATACONF=1,"TCP","MY_ROUTER_ADDRESS",9876 
AT+SDATARXMD=1,1,0
AT+SDATASTART=1,1

For some reason the MY_ROUTER_ADDRESS had to be the text host name instead of the IP address, which was something like c-blah-blah.comcast.net for me as per my router.

Immediately I saw a connection appear in the tcpserver log:

tcpserver: status: 1/40
tcpserver: pid 5232 from 208.54.32.166
tcpserver: ok 5232 :::ffff:192.168.1.111:9876 :::ffff:208.54.32.166::50107
tcpserver: end 5232 status 256
tcpserver: status: 0/40

And then some data was received on the GPRS modem side:

> +STCPD:1
>

Which I read back promptly:

AT+SDATASTATUS=1
> +SOCKSTATUS: 1,1,0102,54,0,16
> 
> OK
>
AT+SDATAREAD=1
> +SSTR:1,are_we_receiving
> 
> OK
>

And it exactly matched the banner text. So atleast I can establish TCP connections. The AT command interface though is a real pain.

Basic testing the SM5100B

SM5100B GSM GPRS modem setup

The parts for the first phase have arrived and basic functionality of the GSM modem was tested and found to be operational. Here is a log of the modem receiving a phone call:

+SIND: 1
+SIND: 10,"SM",1,"FD",1,"LD",1,"MC",1,"RC",1,"ME",1
+SIND: 11
+SIND: 3
+SIND: 4
RING
RING

Here is a list of what I’m using:

  1. From SparkFun
    1. SM5100B Evaluation Board
    2. GSM/GPRS Module – SM5100B
    3. Quad-band Cellular Antenna SMA
  2. From EvilMadScience
    1. 5V, 3A Regulated Power Supply
  3. From BG Micro
    1. 2.5mm Jack To 2.1mm Plug

I also tested receiving SMS text messages but it seems that, they aren’t pushed over the UART. Instead I had to poll to check if I had received any new SMS messages.

+CMGL: 1,0,"REC READ","1511","12/09/09,00:29:11+00"
Welcome to T-Mobile! Dial #BAL# to check your balances. Your T-Mobile number is 1***412****
+CMGL: 2,0,"REC READ","+1***721****","12/09/09,01:14:02+00"
Hello, world
+CMGL: 3,0,"REC READ","+1***721****","12/09/09,01:16:33+00"
Hello, world 2

I am currently using this with a T-Mobile pay-by-the-day plan which gives me unlimited voice, text, and 2G data for $2 per day.

Next I am going to spend some time thinking about how I want to proceed.